Wednesday, August 4, 2010

HIPER LIDER



Walmart came into Chile and bought this company hiper lider....looks like walmart, smells like walmart, feels like walmart-even gave me a little panic attack like Walmart does. The mix of culture is weird here, sometimes I'll walk out onto the street and remember all of a sudden I'm not in the states.
There are these little capsules of culture all over the place. Unlike Europe, people don't like subtitles for the most part. They think its weird, a lot like the states, and most movies come from us. Our TV is all pretty much in english with subtitles. I'll sit down, watch a movie or a show and forget I'm in South America, then go out to the city and remember all over again. Although a little jarring and surreal its kinda nice to jump back and forth like that.
We went to La Reserva De Nonguen yesterday, its a wildlife preserve that is closed off to the public. The guy who organised our language classes helped us out and got permission to go where most people can't. It was really fun, and felt like some weird alien forest. Bamboo, Eucalyptus, parrots, and all sorts of tropical-like stuff...except its winter. The forests here are weird, they feel ancient. South America and especially Chile was isolated from the rest of the world for a long time, and it feels like it. I have to photos that'll I'll post after I work em' up. Till then I present: street views from our apartment.

1 comment:

  1. Walmart is infesting every country it seems.

    Nice photos. Looks like there are alot of people on the street on that top photo.

    ReplyDelete